Friday 28 November 2014

5c) Ethical approach to Professional Inquiry Research

When beginning to think about the ethical challenges I may face when researching into my professional inquiry, I found it very difficult to differentiate between what would be considered the correct ethical conduct of research to others and what I believe to be ethically correct within my own actions. Also not knowing whether I should be trying to separate the two at all. What I do understand, however, is that creating an ethical foundation for my research is greatly important for the success of the Inquiry for myself and others involved.

Upon working through Reader 5, my knowledge of the differences of opinion throughout society of what is ethically correct, particularly when making possible life changing decisions, grew through the use various examples of ethical decisions made in the past and the repercussions by the way of public responses. What interested me most was the difference in opinion about what is ethically or morally correct between the years 1779 with Immanuel Kant's opinion and that of JS Mill in 1861. These two approaches to ethics are described as "Deontology" and "Consequentialism".

Deontology (Kant)

The belief that morals and  ethics are set in stone in terms of what is correct. This means that no matter the potential consequence, there is an absolute correct answer of what is right or good and this doesn't change no matter the situation.

Consequentialism (Mill)

A Complete Opposite belief to deontology. Ethical considerations have to be made and adjusted depending on what the consequences may be. If the end result of what would originally be called unethical actions is in fact to a greater benefit of society then it would actually be the correct moral decision.

What interested me most about these comparisons is the fact I could relate so easily to the difficulty of choosing between them. It is extremely difficult to know, in many cases, whether your ethical decision is correct because of the consequence and still consider yourself to have a strong ethical structure or it is impossible to bend your morals for different situations. This is also an argument that has followed society throughout history and will continue to with every ethical argument that comes our way.

Within the reader, I was very glad to see that there was a list of expected responsibilities I must uphold when conducted my research so as not to stray from the correct ethical practice. I was also recommended that I update and renew the list into a personal checklist for my research. Upon thinking about how I am going to approach my Inquiry research I designed the checklist using my own ideas as well those provided in the reader:


  • The research proposal must comply with ethical standards and be approved by the Research Ethics Committee.
  • To conduct research to the agreed protocol and codes of practice.
  • The research data collected must be true to results.
  • Those involved in the study must be fully aware of their input and be respected throughout.
  • Attention to the confidentially of the results and those involved must be paid.
  • The integrity and professional security of those I will be working with must be considered throughout.
  • To remain in contact with those that have been involved so as to have clear communication about my intentions with the results for their consent.
  • The information given by my the nutritional experts in various interviews must be used to their consent.
  • All personal findings from the dancers must be used to their consent.
  • During my nutritional experiments, the health of those partaking is of the highest importance.
  • To keep my mentor up to date with my findings and research ideas so as to remain compliant with the ethical protocol.
  • To be ethically critical about what information is used in terms of their reliability and accuracy.
  • To reference the research of others appropriately to avoid plagiarism.

Throughout the work of this course so far, we have been reminded of the importance of ethics in terms of producing work. In Module 1 we were asked to think about the integrity of what we post on to open networks such as social websites and how we approach maintaining the safety and security of our own posts as well as those potentially mentioned within. Plagiarism was also mentioned as it is extremely important that any finding or research that will be used for the benefit of my professional inquiry, that is not my own, is referenced appropriately. Failure to do so can lead to massive conflict which is shown within Case 4 of the reader.


The issue of how we present ourselves throughout our research came up in Reader 5, and was a citerea within my inquiry I had not yet considered. Conducting oneself with professionalism throughout the stages of our work is important not only for the amount of respect will we be given when approaching our research but also for the maybe vital relationships that we will be created throughout. During my research, I am planning to speak to professional nutritionists, dancers, teachers and trainers in order to reach my goal and if I do not approach this in the correct manner I may not be given the help I need. Also how I then use my findings will be critical in terms of the ethically correct manner. Speaking and referring to others in the most polite and politically correct way throughout my research is vital for accurate result of my inquiry. Using my own bias or informal opinions rather than pure fact and findings would make my report invalid.

I do believe that I have began to understand what ethical considerations and measures I need to take when embarking upon my professional inquiry and I have no doubt that as I work through it, further knowledge on that subject will come with any issues that may arise within the research. Although now having this foundation should make it easier to know the ethically appropriate way of dealing with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment