Wednesday 2 October 2013

1a: Blog Profile

Before further embarking on my blogging creations, I wanted to let you readers know a little more about who I am and what has brought me to do this BAPP course in the hopes that in turn I can read each of your blogs to relate to the different way our minds have explored within it.

I have been lucky enough to have been able to follow my dream of becoming a professional dancer without, whilst unlike many of my peers, moving away from my hometown of Birmingham. In 2012 I graduated Elmhurst School for Dance after the complete eight years of training from the mere age of 11 to 19. Through out my time in training I have had plentiful opportunities to work with some of the dancing worlds greats, such as the artistic director at the time, Desmond Kelly. As well as principals for companies such as The Royal Ballet. Also working in close relationship with the Birmingham Royal Ballet and given bountiful opportunities to be in close contact with the company and its members.

Due to the versatility of my dance training, I have also had the opportunity to work with varied dance styles ranging from Matt Mattox jazz and Cunningham contemporary to the more unconventional styles of African, Irish and Flamenco. All of which I have found extremely important since leaving training to aid the wide range of movement more companies are beginning to use.

As I trained at a vocational school, I was still able to build my academic skills, resulting in the following qualifications;

2004 – 2012                    Elmhurst School for Dance 
                                          National Diploma in Professional Dance  
                                          RAD Advanced 2             Merit 
                                          RAM Grade 5 Singing     Merit 
                                          A Level English                 A 
                                          A Level Dance                  B 
                                          11 GCSE’s                        A*- B
                                          Benesh Notation Reader Commended


The National Diploma of course being the stepping stone that has brought me to this degree course and this blog.

Performance Experience  is extremely important for moulding a dancer ready for professional life and I given a huge amount whilst at Elmhurst. Ranging from the annual summer show performed at our in school theatre to be taken to Dubai with a professional ballet company to be a part of their christmas tour.

Four Little Girls, Les Rendevous (Frederick Ashton)
             
Rich Man's Frug, Sweet Charity (Bob Fossie, Michelle Blair)        

Snowflakes,
Waltz of the Flowers, The Nutcracker (Vienna Festival Ballet)        
Centrepoint Theatre, Dubai

Diamond Variation, Sleeping Beauty, Solo Competition Finalist   

Wilis, Giselle Act 2 (Sir Peter Wright)

Reach for the Sky (Samira Saidi)                                                        
Birmingham Town Hall

The Dream (John Rigby, Thorey Mountain)                                        
Birmingham Symphony Hall

Firefly, Midsummer Nights Dream (Irek Mukhamedov)

These being but a few examples of the stage experience I gained whilst still a student.

Since my graduation I have relocated to Reading and recently have worked on a variety of dance projects, some of which I will be exploring into within this blog and have had the great pleasure to once again be working with the company that I was lucky enough to go to the Emirates with. Now looking forward to what lies ahead within this course and very interested to see where the potential within will take me. 
                                              


3 comments:

  1. As is plain to see, this is by no means a conventional Curriculum Vitae that would be sent to prospective employers and of course is not what I do indeed send. What I have written here is my "blog" version of my CV as there is much personal information that I wouldn't wish to share on a public site. It is of my impression from looking at old and new members to this course that when approaching a CV or job application that the standard clarity which I have displayed with such areas as my educational qualifications is best whilst still adding some of our own personality so as to show the employer your human side, as well as your professional side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you could add some detailed interests?
    This Profile is great, you have a wide range or training in your background and had lots of great stage opportunities maybe you could give more information on what you possibly achieved?
    Also i think it would be great to add more information about what "varies dance projects" you are doing/done?
    Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the advice,I will be keeping update with what I am up to via the blog but understand that I may need to go into more detail in this profile and so shall add to it. Also I noticed you have written the benefits of your performance experience which I enjoyed and will try to use that idea in my writing!

    X

    ReplyDelete