Tuesday 17 December 2013

Task 3c: Sources Of Information

From birth we are encouraged to grow by learning through a variety of sources. The information we gather within our lives is what creates who we become and the importance of receiving constant information is no different when it comes to approaching our professional practice. As a dancer I am always having to keep in constant awareness of what is happening within the dancing world whether it is a new technique, choreography or audition so that I can reach my full potential within my career. In task 3 we are encouraged to explore which forms of information are the most important to our practice. I have been able to define which possible ways of gaining information is possible.

Internet

Possibly argued as one of largest methods in how our current generation receives information. The internet has become of huge importance into how I find out about nearly everything to do with my career. The phrase "google it" has become extremely common and I must admit that if I wish to find out something quickly this is the main way I would go about it.

In terms of my profession I use the internet to access the range of social networking websites I use to learn of any upcoming auditions as well it being the main way I am contacted about any of my successful applications. As I have previously discussed, I also use different social networking sites to keep up to date with my personal life.

Recently I have used the internet to gather information about up what is happening in the ballet world through the popular media sharing site "YouTube". The ability to be able to access videos on demand of almost anything that has been published is of great use when trying to find certain works as well as to guide with any choreographic help I may need.

You do, however, need to be careful with information on the internet and be integral about the credibility of the information you have read. A popular website for gathering "facts", for example, is wikipedia. This website can be very helpful for most subjects although the realisation that anyone can in fact post their views on the topic. Making its credibility quite low and therefore not often used by myself.

Communication

Communication is vital in my practice so that I am aware of is happening in the dancing world.

The forms I use mainly for communication are my phone for texting and calling and emails. Letter writing has become far too slow as many people need to know the answers to their questions almost immediately. Luckily I am able to access my email on my phone so that I can reply just as instantly as a text, which has made a big difference to whether I get the job I applied for as it can be about speedy organisation.

In terms of my learning, face to face communication throughout my training was of the greatest importance. It is the through having our teachers tell  us in person how we should go about various movements and seeing their live demonstrations that we are able to improve so rapid and thoroughly. Without this kind of communication much detail could get lost like a "chinese whispers" effect and so not giving us,  or particularly me, such an improvement. Once we have obtained the amount of knowledge by graduation, everyday contact is not so highly important  but I still have the strong opinion that though it may no longer be vital, keeping up such a high improvement rate as in training can only be achieved by this form of communication and no technology would ever be able to replace it.

Documenting

When it comes to my career, keeping on top of things is extremely important for remembering certain audition or working days. To make sure I do not miss anything I am booked for, I am a religious keeper of a daily diary.  In this I log everything I am supposed and wish to achieve that day so there is no room for error. Although this is not me learning new information , it is reaffirming important aspects of my practice and so comes with the same importance.

Recently, due to this course, I have also taken up journal writing. The information I can gain from keeping my daily reflections of my practice in written form allows me to look back at my previous work and take from it anything I can to improve in the future. I do struggle with journal writing daily and so only do it when I feel necessary but as I was advised by another member of the course to keep reflecting for future use, I have found this very beneficial in terms of my professional growth.

Experience

There is no denying that the best way to learn from anything in life, is through experience. Experience is a word that is given to young dancers in their final years of training in order to encourage to seek out new things and be a part of everything possible in terms of our profession.

The experience I have gained throughout my training, such as the teaching, performing and choreographing, has lead me to become a wise professional and I still try to be apart of many new experiences to learn further.

The experiences that I have learnt from since graduation is auditioning, open classes, company classes, charity productions and other projects as well as on going company work which with every new choreography learnt comes new experiences and further education in a ever growing profession.

Literature

In my opinion, one of the most traditional ways in which we gather most information in through publications. This includes books, newspapers and magazines. Newspapers and magazines are ideal for keeping updated on what is happening in the world around us. Many magazines also being available specifically for those interested in dance.

The Dancing Times is a magazine subscription I have used in the past, especially when I was in training and is very interesting for learning about new findings within the dancing world. The information I received from the articles also came in very handy when it came to doing my diploma course previously to the BAPP I am now a part of.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bernie
    You make some great points across this whole blog post. Now I would like to know who else thinks this – in other words to support the different statements you make (you make some great and very confident statements) you can link to the ideas of published writers. At this point in the course it would be great if you started to think that as you think about something you also think who else thinks that and what do they think and how does it add to the picture I am writing about. You are at a point now where you must connect to the existing literature – very exciting. Great work
    Adesola

    ReplyDelete