Friday 27 March 2015

Your Last Meal?

I am currently going through the interview process of my data collection and have been left so inspired by a particular part of this evenings that I feel I must share it with you.

Tonight I interviewed a chef in order to get their perspective on the aspects and definition of nutrition. During the conversation I asked about peoples possible emotional involvment with food to which they gave a most marvelous and interesting aneccdote:

The interviewee had been a part of a group discussion where they were asked what their chosen last meal would consist of. A question that I believe many of us have adressed rather casually. As expected, many of the others in the discussion group answerd with the most luxurious and expensive food items i.e lobster, caviar and steak but my interviewee did not. They replied that their perfect final meal if given the choice would consist of a ham sandwich, packet of crisps and a "White's" lemonade. I found this absolutely fascinating as it was an answer I had ever heard before and never expected of a chef who has worked with the most pretigious of companys, creating the most lavish of meals. The reasoning, however, was very heart warming. The interviewee said this was because as a child they would run home from school every wednesday to be met with this meal waiting for them, made by their parents. In further discription of the amount of overwhelming condiments used it sounded the most awful of meals, but to them it was perfect. Because tthis meal was more than just food, a source of survival, it was a memory. And forever loccked within this meal would be that memory.

A lot of my research so far has brought me to how negative emotion can effect our eating habits and therefore circle back to our emotions but this response was a completley differrent perspective. The sheer fact that the most simple of gestures (looking further than food) can have such a massive effect on a persons emotions and attitudes is remarkable. This is a power that can greatly benefit a persons well being if we are able to channel such positivity so easily. For this outlook I am very grateful to my interviewee and look forward to anaylsing their responses further.

I would love to hear what other people "last meal" would be and why? I am going to have a very serious think about mine...


4 comments:

  1. Hi Bernie this is so fascinating! The thought of emotions affecting one's food choices brings up the idea of how people like to feel comfort and have some certainty. I guess food is a feel good factor and maybe having a positive approach towards eating could be a factor towards maintaining a balance in one's eating habits?
    As my last meal, I myself would definitely choose a good barbecue meal and a lemon mirangue pie, as it is a feast I would always enjoy from my childhood back in South Africa. Nostalgia is my biggest weakness when it comes to food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be that many people make choices that remind them of being home. A person's mental association with home usually means comfort, love and safety which then makes your choice make perfect sense. I am learning that love and safety go hand in hand and food plays a role as our body will react if we do not feel safe or loved to try and help. This is what arguably causes cravings and what could determine your 'final meal' decision.

      x

      Delete
  2. What an interesting point Bernie! I have had this question asked to me before as part of a (rather morbid) 'last day on death row' type idea. As far as I can remember, my answer was a Sunday roast. Now that you have mentioned the role of emotions, I wonder if this subconsciously played a role in my answering of the question. It is not a meal that you would usually prepare for one portion and then eat by yourself. In terms of my likes/dislikes, a plate of meat vegetables and gravy also wouldn't make the top spot. Perhaps it is the 'comforting' ideas that accompany a good old family Sunday roast that made me choose it?!
    Either way, I think my answer would likely change on a daily basis!
    Went out for a bank holiday pub meal today and the pizza was that incredible I might just opt for that the next time I'm asked this question haha!

    Hope all is going well,

    Pip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree about the changing my decision depending on my mood point. Every time I look at this post I ask myself the question again and something different comes up, currently it's pulled pork and sweet potato fries (YUM). Although I wouldn't say there is any emotional attachment to this choice other than my love of food. I agree that roast dinners usually mean family time and comfort which would probably be the reason for that choice. I suppose it depends on what relationship the person being questioned has with food, I've recognised mine to be merely enjoyment and so whatever I most fancy that day would be my choice however maybe with maturity my values and opinion of this might change.

      x

      Delete