Wednesday 1 April 2015

Introduction to my Inquiry

Today I began to write my introduction for my Critical Review. I have always (and most likely will always) find beginning any piece of work to be the hardest. I also have no doubt that my first draft will be completely different to my final submission.

I am aware that my introduction needs to these address  main points:

What am I doing for my professional inquiry?
What experiences with my professional practice and my time in the BAPP have lead me to this?
What are my intentions for the inquiry?
What am I hoping to achieve?

My Inquiry

My Inquiry is an investigation into what defines a dancers nutritional needs and the impact that good or malnutrition of these needs have on a dancers professional ability.

My BAPP Journey

When considering what I have been through during my time in this BAPP course I realised that my transition from graduated student to professional ballet dancer has taken place exactly within this small amount of time. It has been during this course that I have moved away from home and begun working with a UK touring company, been a part of charitable dancing events and worked with graduates within other universities who have required a dancers help. All of the knowledge I have gained during my time in training has been put to the test and new, unexpected obstacles have arisen. One being my struggle with staying happy and healthy whilst in tour. This is what inspired my inquiry topic.

My Process

My intentions for this inquiry was to gain a little more insight into what could possible define nutrition for dancers through the collection of various opinions. To do this I conducted a series of interviews with dancers, a teacher, a mother and a chef for their perspective. I used literature sources ranging from documentary to podcast in order to develop the direction of my inquiry.

What I Have Achieved

My research has enabled an introduction of new terms such as "self-affirmation" which have broadened my understanding of what a dancers need in order to succeed in their work. A new, positive outlook has been highlighted within my career that focuses on a dancers need outside of merely food and have created a recipe book that shows this.

The introduction to my inquiry must encompass all of these areas, touching on every aspect without too much detail as that will come later in my critical review!

Happy Writing Module 3'ers!

No comments:

Post a Comment