Friday 24 October 2014

4d) Literature

As the reasoning for my investigation into nutrition for dancers is a result of the lack of knowledge in currently have on the subject I felt I should research into the generalised topic of nutrition before branching into the specific dance related areas.

  • "Nutrition for Dummies" 2nd Edition by Nigel Denby, Sue Baic and Carol Ann Rinzler

This book, however generalised and basic, was helpful in helping me understand the basics of nutrition and our bodies digestive needs; "Glucose is the basic fuel your body uses for energy". Structured into basic chapter I was able to determine which would be most helpful for my later inquiry research. One chapter in particular gives advice into the best nutrition for when you are travelling on the road. This topic in particular is one of my main points of investigation as a dancers struggle to maintain good nutrition is on tour. This is a problem I have discovered myself whilst performing in my current ballet company. Below are the examples of recommendations of healthy options available in service stations, a main source of food or drink on tour.

"Here are some suggestions for healthy choices in service stations:

  • Bottled water
  • Cereal bars
  • Fresh fruit including fruit salad
  • fruit juices and smoothies
  • individual cereal pots with milk or yoghurt
  • low calorie hot chocolate
  • low fat milk
  • low fat savoury snacks like plain popcorn, pretzels and trail mix
  • low sugar squash and fizzy drinks
  • pre-packed healthy eating sandwiches or wraps
  • ready-to-eat salads with dressing on the side
  • tea or herbal/fruit teas"
It will be this kind of basic information that I will take into my inquiry in order to research further and adapt for the needs of dancers.


No comments:

Post a Comment