Monday 6 October 2014

The Responsibilities of a Professional Dancer

In order for me to able to decided which aspect of my career I wish to research further I first wanted to make note of what my responsibilities are as a self employed professional ballet dancer. From doing the exercise I was able to identify my strengths and weaknesses.

Below I have noted what I can of the responsibilities I have to my current career...

Maintaining Technique 
Much like when in vocational training although less personal corrections and time for correcting is given for professional classes and so it is up to the dancer to be constantly thinking about what is the correct technique and how to adjust my body appropriately. Various strengthening and stretching exercises should also be done as well as daily class to keep on form.

Maintaining Physique
This important for both during the working season and off season. This requires eating and exercising properly.

Staying Healthy
This is important for rehearsals due to limited rehearsals time and for tours as I am a part of small ballet company with limited casting and so being able to perform in all shows is extremely important.

Injury
As above this is important for rehearsals and tour. Injury also means you are not able to participate in classes, rehearsals or performances which causes a decrease in strength and stamina.

Personal Appearance
In many cases, dancers need to be blank canvases that can be moulded into any role. Particularly for classical ballet dancers. This includes not having any obscene piercings or tattoos, disfigurements or major imperfections to the face or body and even haircuts that can be easily reshaped in some cases.

Auditions
Each dancer is personally responsible for finding, applying, organising and attending auditions. This includes budgeting for any travel or accommodation necessary.

Curriculum Vitae
Must be created under the appropriate format for auditions and constantly updated to show achievements and therefore potential to possible future employers.

Headshots
Whilst a professional photographer is hired to give guidance on the best shots and produce the appropriate photographs,it is up to the dancer to choose and hire the photographer they think is best for the desired look. Headshots and dance shots are needed for almost every audition for all styles of dance.

Above are examples of what I believe I have a responsibility of doing as a professional dancer in order to sustain my position and better my career. I then looked at my current contract to see what it is my employers expect of me:

Time Organisation 
Being punctual for rehearsals, meeting the tour bus, class and performances.

Costume
Keeping my costume for each production stored correctly, maintained, clean and to fix anything that may happen to it (eg. broken hook) that is within my capabilities during the tour.

Make Up
Having the correct equipment for each performance and applying it in the desired way which is advised by the ballet mistress.

Shoes 
Always having at least two pairs of the necessary shoes for the performance that are clean, broken in and prepared (eg. pancaked)

Tour Bag
Correctly pack tour bag for performances ahead and being responsible for communicating with the technician who transfers it between theatres.

Money Management
As a self employed dancer I have to be responsible for managing my payments given, tax, national insurance and storing the correct receipts.

Choreography
Learning, practicing and performing to the best of our ability. this means using free time to go over choreography, notes and corrections given to be able to improve.

Going through these responsibilities has helped me identify what I believe my capabilities are and with this, what it is I would like to further research in my professional enquiry in order to progress within my career.

I would be very interested to know what other bloggers believe are the most important aspects of their career and with that what their professional enquiries will be based on.










No comments:

Post a Comment